HBK Engineering is searching for an experienced Structural Engineer with a Professional Engineer license, with experience in building design and construction. Our firm offers a professional work environment, excellent benefits, competitive salary and growth potential.
- Lead a project team consisting of engineers, designers, and field personnel involved in the design, modification, analysis and constructability of new and existing buildings.
- Work on challenging assignments that include investigating, trouble-shooting, and solving a wide variety of engineering and construction related issues.
- Prepare technical memos, reports, construction specifications and other written documentation.
- Perform and manage diversified tasks through the life cycle of projects.
- Read and interpret prints, calculations, technical drawings, schematics, and reports.
- Assist drafters in developing the design of products using drafting tools or computer-assisted design (CAD) or drafting equipment and software.
- Apply engineering theories, techniques and analysis to structural and geotechnical engineering designs.
- Additional related work on building foundations, vault and tunnel designs, earth retention systems, shaft and trench excavation, and temporary and permanent earth retention.
- Perform calculations and prepare sketches and/or AutoCAD drawings for design operations.
- Conduct Structural investigations, field inspections and engineering analysis.
- Value engineering with emphasis on constructability issues.
- Coordination and collaboration with architectural patterns and in-house MEP teams.
- B.S. Degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis on structural engineering required. Additional geotechnical experience is a plus.
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Iowa or the ability to obtain one via reciprocity required.
- 5 – 10 years of licensed experience in structural engineering required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong client and partner communication and collaboration skills required.
- Knowledge of industry design codes including AISC, ASCE, UBC and IBC required.
- Fundamental knowledge of principles of structural engineering, temporary construction systems, geotechnical engineering, and soil and rock mechanics.
- Fundamental knowledge of steel, concrete, and wood construction including architectural coordination and integration.
- Ability to problem solve and determine agile, safe, and suitable solutions to a variety of challenges.
- Construction knowledge and field experience is a plus.
Valued skills and experiences:
- M.S. Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering is a plus.
- Working knowledge of REVIT, AutoCAD LT, Tedds, LPile, SCIA.
- Consulting background preferred.
Location: Iowa City or Cedar Rapids, IA
HBK Engineering, LLC has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe and productive work environment. Employment at HBK is contingent upon background check and drug screen.