HBK is searching for a Utility Locator. Our firm offers a professional work environment, excellent benefits, competitive salary and growth potential.
This position offers the opportunity to be part of a team that supports underground facility construction activities with the purpose of damage prevention and facility protection of multiple utilities’ infrastructure. The locator responds to dig ticket requests from contractor crews to locate, identify and mark existing client infrastructure and meet compliance with Company, State, and Federal processes, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Locates and marks underground facilities using various industry tools, standards and methods including the use of various locating devices and utility maps.
- Compares real world conditions to the record documentation to identify errors and omissions.
- Verifies location of all client facilities within specified dig extents.
- Examines and investigates all damages with their purview creating all required documentation.
- Watches and protects client facilities within a given area as directed by client.
- Understands contractor’s means and methods for subsurface installations.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Valid driver’s license.
Essential skills and experience:
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to be able to work smoothly with citizens, company, contractor representatives, and customers.
- Good organizational skills to be able to handle many varied tasks at once.
- Knowledge and understanding of safe worksite practices.
- Experience with the construction and installation of below grade infrastructure.
- Experience working within and utilizing existing utility standard designs.
- Experience with complex urban underground utility infrastructure.
- Experience with serving as firm/client liaison.
- Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others.
- Experience in the use and basic maintenance of industry standard locating equipment.
- Experience using basic communication and tech devices.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- 2-year or 4-year degree is a plus.
- Surveying experience is a plus.
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheet software
- Motor vehicle
- Phone, Camera, GPS
- Tape measure, wheel, various types of locating equipment including but not limited to conductive and inductive radio devices, Metal detectors
- Capable of moving about on construction work sites, public streets and parkway.
- Capable of lifting up to 75lbs.
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel or sit for extended periods.
- Hand-eye coordination necessary to operate computers and various measurement, locating and testing instruments.
- Work safely outside in all weather conditions year round.
- Occasionally work in excavations areas and roadways.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is occasionally moderate to loud.
HBK Engineering, LLC has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe and productive work environment. Employment at HBK is contingent upon background check and drug screen.