HBK Engineering is searching for a Utility Watch and Protect Technician. Our firm offers a professional work environment, excellent benefits, competitive salary and growth potential.
The Utility Watch and Protect Technician will be responsible for a variety of tasks related to utility protection for a variety of utility clients. The Technician will be responsible for monitoring excavation to help prevent damage from being done to critical facilities.
- Compares real world conditions to the record documentation to identify errors and omissions.
- Verifies location of all client facilities within specified dig extents.
- Watches and protects client facilities within a given area as directed by client.
- Understands contractor’s means and methods for subsurface installations.
- Responsible for monitoring and providing surveillance of critical infrastructure where excavations are known to be taking place or will be taking place soon.
- Contacting excavators and scheduling with them to monitor critical excavation.
- Monitoring excavations near critical infrastructure to prevent damage from being done to client facilities.
- Locates and marks underground facilities using various industry tools, standards and methods including the use of various locating devices and utility maps.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Valid driver’s license.
- 2 years of experience in the construction and/or locating industry.
Essential skills and experience:
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to be able to work smoothly with citizens, company, contractor representatives, and customers.
- Good organizational skills to be able to handle many varied tasks at once.
- Knowledge and understanding of safe worksite practices.
- Experience with the construction and installation of below grade infrastructure.
- Experience working within and utilizing existing utility standard designs.
- Experience with complex urban underground utility infrastructure.
- Experience with serving as firm/client liaison.
- Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others.
- Experience in the use and basic maintenance of industry standard locating equipment.
- Experience using basic communication and tech devices.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- 2-year or 4-year degree is a plus.
- Surveying experience is a plus.
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Motor vehicle.
- Phone, Camera, GPS.
- Tape measure, wheel, various types of locating equipment including but not limited to conductive and inductive radio devices, Metal detectors.
- Capable of moving about on construction work sites, public streets and parkway.
- Capable of lifting up to 75lbs.
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel or sit for extended periods.
- Hand-eye coordination necessary to operate computers and various measurement, locating and testing instruments.
- Work safely outside in all weather conditions year round.
- Occasionally work in excavations areas and roadways.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is occasionally moderate to loud.
Job Location: Chicago, IL
HBK Engineering, LLC has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe and productive work environment. Employment at HBK is contingent upon background check and drug screen.